It can be a daunting scenario getting orthodontic braces; particularly for those of a younger age. There are many misconceptions about braces being painful to get put on, however the process itself is not painful but discomfit may be felt in the next few following days.
These days there are also many modern treatments that minimise pain throughout the braces fitting and the treatment itself; braces treatment such as Damon Q are very comfortable and use light force to gently move the teeth.
To see how best to prepare for your braces fitting, see the below tips and hints:
- Make sure you are relaxed during the fitting– tense muscles can potentially cause pain
- Concentrate on something else during the fitting – have someone talk to you
- Perhaps have a painkiller beforehand to alleviate any possible discomfort
- Ask your orthodontist as many questions before the procedure, to make you feel comfortable about what will be happening
- Brush your teeth and floss beforehand
- Purchase soft foods for the first few days of having new braces
- Use orthodontic wax on your new braces to avoid ulcers
One of the best ways to prepare? Talk to your orthodontist and others who have had braces, they can give you firsthand experience as to what to expect, the more information you have the more comfortable you will become. Have any questions? Contact us at Norwest Orthodontics on 9672 6113.