Early intervention is about providing orthodontic treatment to children at a younger age to avoid having lengthy and complicated orthodontic braces at a later point, whether it is during teens or even adult orthodontics. Early intervention has been around for a long time; however people are becoming more aware and more receptive to the benefits of early treatment as the years go on. They have seen the results of those who have had early treatment to straighten teeth have great outcomes.
Orthodontists in Sydney recommend that children have their first consultation no later than the age of seven. The benefits of having early intervention are based on the following:
- Reduce need for extractions because the mouth is monitored for growth at an earlier stage
- Early treatment allows for oral problems to be corrected before they become serious
- Early intervention makes treatment easier in terms of adjusting narrow upper arches or under bites
- Less involved treatment needed in the future
- Easier to make changes when your child is growing
It’s important to note that early orthodontics does not solve all issues, however is perfect for treating cross-bites, protruding front teeth, under bites or narrow upper arches. The best thing to do is to bring your child in for a consultation and the best care plan for your child can be developed. For more information regarding early intervention for your child, contact Norwest Orthodontics on 9672 6113.