While orthodontic treatment is designed to straighten teeth and correct a misaligned bite, the technology behind them is not universal.
In fact, treatment has come a long way in the past two decades with different styles, types and techniques available.
At Norwest Orthodontics, our system of choice is Damon Braces, and here’s why they’re our preferred type of braces when it comes to creating the perfect smile.
What are Damon braces?
Known as the Rolls Royce of the braces’ world, Damon Braces are a self-ligating system designed to offer shorter treatment times, fewer extractions and increased patient comfort.
They’re also highly regarded as being a gentle braces system that helps maintain greater oral hygiene.
So how do they work?
Unlike traditional braces that see the archwire ‘tied’ to the bracket, the brackets in Damon Braces feature a slide mechanism allowing custom-fitted, high-tech archwires to move freely and straighten teeth.
In other words, instead of being anchored to specific teeth, the Damon Braces’ archwire is designed to create the optimum overall teeth alignment and slides within the brackets as the teeth straighten.
The result is less friction and pressure than conventional braces where the tie method acts like a parking brake that can slow treatment down.
Traditional orthodontic braces use rubber o-shaped rings to tie the wire to the actual bracket. These rings act as bungee cords to hold the wire and fixed brackets in place.
The problem with rubber rings is that they create a lot of friction, making tooth movement slower and more painful. They also absorb moisture and allow increased plaque and bacteria formation. This makes maintaining good oral hygiene more difficult.
The Damon system has a tiny built-in slide that gently holds the wire, eliminating the need for these inefficient o-shaped rubber rings. Since the bungee-like rubber o-rings are not used, Damon greatly reduces friction and binding. Clinically, this results in faster and more comfortable tooth movement.
The Damon system also makes use of high-tech wires that use light forces to gently move teeth, resulting in more comfortable and efficient tooth movement. Although Damon Braces are not lingual braces, they are an affordable alternative compared to what these more expensive braces cost.
Without the elastic ties which attract and collect plaque, Damon Braces make dental hygiene easy during treatment.
The Damon System is available in clear brackets so they are even less visible.
There are a wealth of benefits to using the Damon Braces system, including increased comfort, shorter treatment times and fewer adjustments, so let’s investigate the major attributes.
In a study completed by Tagawa D. Clinical Impressions in 2006, researchers compared the results of 132 orthodontic patients, with 66 undergoing treatment with Damon Braces and 66 undergoing conventional treatment.
The results indicated the following:
- Faster treatment time – Damon patients were treated in an average of 7.2 months less time than those treated with conventional braces.
- Fewer appointments – The Damon patients required an average of 47.8 per cent fewer appointments than those treated with conventional braces.
- Faster results – The amount of time required for levelling and aligning with conventional braces was 6.0 months, versus just 3.2 months for Damon, a difference of 46.7 per cent.
- More comfortable – The Damon patients reported an average of 60 per cent less discomfort than those treated with conventional braces.
- Excellent final result – The quality of Damon results was consistently excellent, with cases averaging 3.6 on a 4-point scale (4 being the highest).
- Good patient response – Patient acceptance and enthusiasm about the Damon technique was uniformly and exceptionally positive.
In addition to these findings, Damon Braces are easy to clean and maintain a high standard of oral hygiene, making them an ideal option for adult or teenage braces.
If Norwest orthodontist Dr Shimanto Purkayastha recommends Damon Braces are the best course of action for you, the treatment is simple and straightforward.
- Imaging – This first step on your journey to the perfect smiles sees detailed imaging taken of your mouth. Along with images taken of the teeth , a set of moulds are taken to ensure braces are customised and tailored for each individual paitnet
The state-of-the-art technology enables us to customise bracket placement and plan patients’ treatment to an extent that has not been possible previously. This allows faster, more comfortable and aesthetic treatment outcomes.
- Fitting – Having your braces fitted takes up to an hour. This appointment involves cleaning your teeth, adhering the brackets to the teeth, and then inserting the custom-made archwire.
This archwire uses memory shape technology to gently move your teeth into the optimum position over time. You will then be given detailed advice on caring for your braces.
- Adjustments – After the initial fitting, we will schedule your first adjustment. Damon braces require fewer adjustments than conventional braces and the appointment involves assessing the progress of the treatment and inserting a new memory-shape archwire to continue to shift your teeth into the desired position.
- Braces removal – The Damon system takes far less time to achieve the perfect smile than conventional braces, and the length of treatment depends on your individual circumstances. Once the desired result has been achieved, your braces will be removed.
You will then be required to wear a retainer for a prescribed period to maintain the position of teeth.
About Norwest Orthodontics
Norwest Orthodontics specialises in helping you achieve a great smile, no matter your age. We feature a range of orthodontic treatments that span from early intervention right through to remedial adult work.
We also have a suite of treatments available that include discrete, removeable Invisalign braces, and welcome the opportunity to work with you to achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of.