When braces are first fitted or when they are adjusted, many people can experience some pain due to the shifting nature of your teeth. The discomfort is part of the process of realigning your teeth; however, there are some techniques our patients can use to alleviate the pain
- Over the counter pain relief – Over the counter pain killers can help to relieve pain in the jaws and gums caused by the shifting of your teeth. Norwest Orthodontics will recommend the best pain killers to have on hand when you first have your braces fitted and during readjustments.
- Eating soft foods – Eating soft foods such as those outlined in our braces-friendly recipe book may help to alleviate the pain until it passes.
- Dental wax – Dental Wax is recommended for relief from the pain and irritation caused by orthodontic appliances. By protecting gums and the linings of your cheeks and lips, dental wax can provide a comfortable barrier from the sharp ends of wires and pointed appliance parts.
- Ice cream – Immediately after braces have been put in, eating ice cream will help to relieve the swelling and inflammation of the gums. The cooling sensation of ice cream will continue to bring down the pain and give much needed relief.
- Gentle brushing – When brushing your teeth, brush gently.
Norwest Orthodontics try to make the orthodontic treatment of braces as painless as possible for all our patients and are here to help recommend ways to relieve any pain and discomfort. For more information about the different types of braces, please contact the team at Norwest Orthodontics on 9672 6113.