It is difficult to keep on top of your dental health whilst orthodontic treatment, as having orthodontics braces is not a natural thing. However if you can get into good behaviours during treatment, you will have great dental hygiene habits for the rest of your life!
Here are five tips to looking after your orthodontic health during treatment.
- Brushing your teeth is the most important step to keeping up your oral hygiene during orthodontics braces. Making sure to brush after every meal is important as plaque is easy to build up during treatment
- Using a fluoride rich toothpaste is recommended as it is one of the easiest ways to help you fight decay. Fluoride helps fight acids created during eating and drinking
- Flossing and use of interdental toothpicks are a great way to remove the hidden foods between your brackets. Flossing can be difficult to get under the wires, therefore try the interdental picks to get to those hard to reach places
- If you are having Invisalign treatment (removable braces), it is just as important to clean your appliance as it is your teeth. The best way to keep it clean is to pop it in a glass of warm water with a denture cleaning tablet. This will ensure to kill any hidden bacteria’s
- Saliva is the body’s way of combatting tooth decay and as it is difficult to chew gum during treatment. The best way to increase your saliva levels is to drink lots of water! Not only increasing your saliva levels but drinking lots of water keeps your mouth clean.
It is important to keep your oral hygiene at its best during treatment, because once it is finalised you do not want to remove your orthodontics braces and then have to worry about calcium stains and fillings to your teeth. It is also best to keep up regular dental and orthodontic appointments as to ensure that things are running smoothly, allowing for your practitioner to check on any issues. If you have any concerns regarding your dental health during orthodontic treatment, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Norwest Orthodontics on 9672 6113