Braces as a child can be a scary time and unfortunately there are some restrictions on food while wearing braces. This mainly includes the avoidance or hard foods such as lollies, crusty bread, nuts, as well as pizza, popcorn, and food high in sugars. Any food that you need to bite into to eat is considered off limits as this is known for breaking braces. You can get around this by cutting the food into smaller pieces, such apple, carrots, meats, and corn.
There are some positives in eating for your child when wearing braces. Norwest Orthodontics have put together a top five food tips to help you child adjust to braces. We also recommend you download our recipe book which gives you great ideas of meals for when you have braces or plates.
- Ice cream is good for any meal.
- Spaghetti bolognaise and pasta can still be eaten, always popular with children and teenagers
- Pancakes can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Smoothies and milkshakes help to sooth a sore mouth after adjustments or fittings
- Mexican is fun. Because tortillas are a great soft alternative to crusty bread or hard shell tacos, they can be used for a range of meals that such as quesadillas, burritos and soft shell tacos. Mexican night could become a regular at your house.